Region celebrates the announcement of the annual Wotif Aussie Town of the Year Awards, which sees Adelaide Hills placed fifth as one of the most popular places to visit in Australia.
Hahndorf is the most visited township in the Adelaide Hills and is arguably the jewel in the region’s tourism crown with pre-covid visitation numbers well over 1million a year.
The awards are determined by a Wotif data index that looks at accommodation affordability, quality, and traveller satisfaction. Leading to Adelaide Hills placing:
- Travel interest for Adelade Hills has grown by over 110% on Wotif.com in the last 12 months
- The region offers excellent affordability, with an average accommodation rate of $169 p/n
With 2022 set to be the year we reclaim our travel as state border restrictions ease, research commissioned by Wotif indicates:
- 54% of South Australians plan to travel in 2022, with 98% of those planning to travel in Australia
- 88% of Aussies planning to travel this year are looking to explore more of Australia
- 71% plan to travel interstate as over half (53%) say they haven’t travelled interstate since the start of the pandemic
- Close to a third (31%) say that even with international travel reopening, they plan to stay within Australia
- A quarter (24%) are planning to visit somewhere new within Australia in 2022
Recognising the country’s top destinations for 2022, the awards aim to highlight the best of Australia’s diverse destinations, to encourage Aussies to make the most of the year ahead and explore their own backyard.
2022 winners below:
- Launceston, TAS
- Caloundra, QLD
- Tamworth, NSW
- Yarra Valley, VIC
- Adelaide Hills, SA
- Bright, VIC
- Hervey Bay, QLD
- Halls Gap, VIC
- Batemans Bay, NSW
- Busselton, WA
Hahndorf is less than 30-minutes from the city, and all visitors can be immersed in Australia’s oldest surviving German settlement. A heritage listed town, Hahndorf’s steep history and character lends itself to a picturesque and interesting village to discover. Stroll down the iconic main street and explore heritage German buildings, bakeries, pubs and cafes that line the bustling leafy street.
Enjoy a traditional German feast at the Hahndorf Inn and wander through beautiful galleries and shops offering everything from traditional sweets and local produce to indigenous artwork and German cuckoo clocks. Pick your own strawberries from the iconic Beerenberg Farm, taste award-winning cheeses at Udder Delights or venture in to one of the many cellar doors including The Lane Vineyard and Hahndorf Hill Winery.